11.26.2012

happy to be not dead

DSC_0005 DSC_0014 DSC_0015 DSC_0021 DSC_0025 DSC_0026 DSC_0039 DSC_0052 DSC_0060 DSC_0071 DSC_0093
I suppose that's a strange way to start. Happy to be not dead, particularly if you didn't see the op-ed at the NY Times, but I like it.  I like the idea that there are many ways to be alive, but pretty much only one way to appreciate not being dead.  This thought was prevalent in my mind while we visited David's Grandpa over the weekend.  This sweet man is ready to leave this world.  Not physically, physically he's in pretty good health for a 94 year old, but mentally he wants to be done.  He wants to move over to heaven and be with the ones he loves who are already there.  And really, who am I to argue with that?  Hmmm.  I didn't really expect this post to have gone this direction, since we're usually supposed to be thinking of what we are thankful for.  I know, I know, I am thankful to be alive, and thankful for my family. We had a lovely, quiet Thanksgiving.  But really I am most thankful for David who washed, dried and put away each and every dish after dinner.  He is the best.  I'm thankful for sunshine and swimming in November.  Not that I did any swimming, I just took advantage of the sun and did some major basking.  Probably my best skill.  I'm thankful for friends who welcome us into their home like family.  I'm thankful for the giggles, snorts, and general ruckus that is my three children, even though sometimes I'd like nothing more than for them to shut up, it makes me happy that they get along with each other so well.  I'm thankful for that Arlo.  She makes me smile, makes me stop and cuddle, and softens my hard edges.  And David.  There is no list, just all of him.  What about you? 

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that piece. Is Arlo the favorite ;)?

12:37 PM  
Blogger hannah said...

People say parents shouldn't have favorites, but it's not true. It's ok to have favorites. I love all my kids, but yes, Arlo is my favorite. Lucky for me she's the slowest, so I can keep up with her with my camera.

4:41 PM  
Blogger chief gordon said...

dirty dishes don't have a chance when i'm around.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

so glad you are back :)

10:47 PM  
Anonymous lapiubelladitutte said...

I did lost my grandpa 4 years ago and althought he was ready as yours is, I wasn't... Lovely kids and lovely photos!!!

2:26 PM  
Blogger bet(h) said...

oh han. you & david are the best. two of the people i feel luckiest to know. maybe one day we'll live near each other again. :)

9:07 PM  
Blogger by BUN said...

your photos are incredible.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home